I recently heard from some students that they find box subscriptions too expensive, so this month—my last month writing this column—I’ve decided to bring you one of the most affordable subscriptions available. The second box, while not one of the most expensive subscriptions, is not cheap by any means, but it is my most favorite subscription, so I saved the best for last. This month the two boxes are the Walmart Beauty Sample Box and the PopSugar Must Have Box.
Walmart Beauty Sample
Walmart Beauty Sample Box is a quarterly box of health and beauty products that are either new or otherwise being featured for sale at Walmart. The products included are usually deluxe and sample sizes with coupons to buy the full-sized product versions at Walmart. The coupons usually don’t expire for a good amount of time, which gives you plenty of time to try the sample and then redeem the coupon. The best part about this subscription is the price: it’s FREE—all you pay is $5.00 for shipping & handling! Because this subscription comes out seasonally, it often caters to what’s needed during that season: deep moisturizers in the winter, sunscreen products in the summer, etc.
Once you sign up for the box, no need to monitor your subscription; they’ll send you an email notifying you they’re charging your card for the next box when that season rolls around. Everyone gets the same items although color and scent variations may exist depending on what they’ve curated for that season’s boxes. An information card isn’t included, so the values are calculated using Walmart’s website.
Inside my box:
• Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara (Full
• Dove Body Wash Mandarin &
• Tiare Flower Scent (Sample; Full size $5.47)
• Neutrogena Healthy Skin Boosters Facial Cleanser (Sample; Full size $7.47)
• Lady Gaga Fame (Sample; Full size $30.88)
• Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Omega Repair and Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner (Samples; Full size $13.94)
• Maybelline FITme Matte + Poweless Foundation (Sample pack; Full size $5.94)
• Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion (Sample pack; Full size $5.92)
• Garnier Ultra-Lift Miracle Sleeping Cream (Sample pack; Full size $11.50)
• $2.00 off Schwarzkopf Essence
• Ultime Hair Care Product or Styling Product (exp. 12/31/15)
• $3.00 off Schwarzkopf Color Ultime or Keratin Color Hair Coloring Product (exp. 12/31/15)
• $2.00 off Fit Me or any Maybelline New York face product (exp. 12/31/15)
• $1.00 off Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion (exp. 8/1/2015)
• $2.00 off any Garnier Moisturizer (10/15/15)
• $2.00 off any L’Oreal Paris Cosmetic Product (exp. 4/30/15)
• $2.00 off one CoverGirl + Olay Simply Ageless Foundation Product (exp. 6/30/15)
I love that this box has so much variety. While the samples are usually smaller, there’s always plenty to choose from. I’m excited to try the shampoo and conditioner and you can never have too much body wash andfacecleanser!Ialsolovethatthey sent a newly release full-size mascara!
Walmart Beauty Sample
Cost: FREE/per quarter. Just pay $5.00 shipping and handling! Renews automatically
Search: Sample Boxes (they have baby boxes too)
Introductory Offer: None
PopSugar Must Have
PopSugar Must Have is a monthly lifestyle subscription box for women and usually includes home, beauty, health, fashion, and food items. This month’s theme was Renewal, Citrus, Fresh, and Traveling. The cost is $39.95/month with free shipping and they promise various full-sized products hand selected by the editors of PopSugar.com. The values of the boxes seem to be high and their website promises that it will be at least $100. Boxes are always themed and well curated around said theme. Subscriptions are available on a month to month basis or in three or six month increments and the prices go down the longer the subscription you select. Each box comes with an info card explaining why the items were selected and their values.
PopSugar also does limited- edition boxes. They usually release quarterly and sometimes they have gender specific specialty boxes. The Resort box was released recently and sold out quickly, so if you’re interested in them, grab them while you can!
Inside my box:
• Bliss Micromagic Microdermabrasion Treatment (Full size $48.00)
• Greenmarket Purveying Co. The Archivist Lemon + Cucumber Reed Diffuser Kit (Full size $20.00)
• Samudra Pink Piñk Zip Pouch (Full size $40.00)
• Knock Knock What to Pack Pad (Full size $7.00)
• Wet Brush The Squirt (Full size $4.99)
• Halfpops Halfpopped Popcord (Snack size $1.69)
• Benef it Cosmetics Roller Last Mascara (sample; Full size $24.00) • Benefit Porefessional (sample; Full size $31.00)
I am most excited about the Benefit Roller Lash Mascara. I received this in another box this month, but haven’t had a chance to use it, but my favorite mascara of all times is by Benefit, so I’m definitely looking forward to this one. I also loved the reed diffuser; the scent was absolutely incredible and I couldn’t wait to unpack it and use it; it smells AHMAAAAZING. Other favorites are the Bliss Micromagic Microdermabrasion Treatment and Wet brush. The absolute best part about this box was the value, by my estimates because of the two samples, it’s about $140 worth of awesomeness.
PopSugar Must Have
Cost: $39.95/every month, less with 3 or 6 month subscription. FREE SHIPPING!
Introductory Offer: MUSTHAVE5 saves your 5.00 off your first box; occasionally they have better deals
All photos courtesy of Jessica Greenstein.